The World Changed In The
Summer Following My Birth
Nothing Changed at All
In the summer following my birth, the world changed.
- Marilyn Monroe sang “Happy Birthday Mr. President.”
- Marilyn Monroe died.
- Adolph Eichmann was hung.
- Spider Man was born.
- Sam Walton opened the first Wal-Mart in Arkansas.
- Doctors inserted the first silicone breast implants.
- Diane Nash’s defiance forced a Mississippi court to back down.
- Cpl. Roman Ducksworth was murdered by a Mississippi policeman.
- Andy Warhol opened his first solo show.
- William Faulkner died.
- The Rolling Stones played their first gig as a band.
- The Shirelles hit number one with “Soldier Boy.”
- Court ordered Ole Miss to enroll James Meredith.
- Ole Miss blocked James Meredith’s enrollment.
- The Jetsons premiered.
- The Beverly Hillbillies premiered.
- The Red-bellied gracile mouse opossum became extinct.
- The Earth’s population hit 3 Billion.
In the summer following my birth, nothing changed at all.
Writing Prompt Thanks to Putting My Feet in the Dirt
1 thought on “Haiku & History: In the Summer Following My Birth”